"When the economy is doing poorly and/or heading towards a recession the government will START A WAR to revive the economy." (paraphrased)
"I have never let schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens)
"Why would the richest country in the world not want to feed its poor?" - Indonesian friend of a professor on the illogical things happening in countries
"Politicians who promise everything must take (taxes, cutting programs) in order to give."
"There are no 'free' lunches." (Nothing is "free," everything has a cost whether there is a price tag or not). - Unknown
"What SENSE does it make to spend (really more than ) for a watch, especially since it serves only function? Do you really need to be able to know what time it is in India, the temperature, and barometric pressure?" (paraphrased)
"Nothing happens unless first a dream." - Carl Sandburg
"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - "What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post
"The ability to see that some things cannot be foreseen is a very necessary quality." - Rousseau
"Religion can be used to brainwash individuals, groups, and civilizations (paraphrased)."
Hasta el diablo era buen mozo cuando le apuntaba el bozo.
- "Beauty is only skin deep. (Lit. Even the devil was handsome when he was still a youth [had "peach fuzz" instead of whiskers]."
El que no arriesga, nada tiene.
- "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Con lo que no cuesta, se hace fiesta.
- "The best things in life are free. (Lit. With something that costs nothing, one has a party.)"
Después de que todo se ha dicho y hecho, mucho se ha dicho y poco se ha hecho>.
- "After all is said and done, much has been said and little has been done."
No creas lo que veas ni la mitad de lo que oigas.
- "Don't believe everything you see nor half of what you hear."
Por uno que salga chueco, no todos están torcidos.
- "Don't judge a group by one of its members." (Lit. One's turning out twisted doesn't mean that all are crooked."
Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.
- "Birds of a feather flock together. (Lit. Tell me whom you hang around with and I'll tell you who you are)."
"...rule-based theories of ethics emphasize the character of the act itself, not its effects, in arriving at universal moral rights and wrongs. Moral rights, the basis for legal rights, are associated with such theories. In a theological context, the Bible, the Talmud, and the Koran are rule-based guides to ethical behavior. Immanuel Kant worked toward the ultimate moral principle in formulating his categorical imperative, a universal standard of behavior. Kant argued that individuals should be treated with respect and dignity, and that they should not be used as a means to an end. He argued that we should put ourselves in the other person's position and ask if we would make the same decision if we were in the other person's situation."
- From Organizational Behavior: Foundations, Realities, and Challenges. Nelson, Debra L. and Quick, James campbell. 2nd edition. West Publishing Company, 1996, 1997. pg. 50.
"... I must agree that some things cannot be predicted; but it is necessary to distinguish between those phenomena that are predictable and those that are not." - A. Schelsinger, Wall Street Journal, 09/20/93
"...It's best to buy "term" life insurance because it's the purest form of insurance. It (insurance) should really be called "death" insurance, you only get (your family and/or beneficiaries) the money after you die. And with some policies, you have to die before a certain age for your family to receive the insurance payment(paraphrased)."
"Microwaves can kill."
Last Modified: 13 October 2006 EST